Sunday, July 13, 2014

Vegan Peanut Butter Cups


My favorite candy has always been peanut butter cups. Always, as in, since the dawn of my candy-eating life. When I was a small child, my favorite television show was The Gummy Bears (that one I have grown out of). I loved both peanut butter cups and The Gummy Bears so much that I decided they must be connected, the logic being that all good must come from the same source. Thus, I jettisoned the name of Reese and christened peanut butter cups, Gummy Bear Candy.

My special name for the beauteous concoction of peanut butter and chocolate was, of course, made complicated by the fact there exists in this world a much less chocolatey and rather less melty sugar snack to which most people refer as gummy bears. One day, I was noticeably perturbed and my parents no less embarrassed when visitors from across the country presented me with what they thought was my favorite candy and what I thought was bear-shaped sealant.

To avoid confusion, I am not calling my recent convection anything to do with bears-- gummy, sticky, bouncy or otherwise. Reese, though, does not get his due either because he chooses to make his treats with animal products and who knows what other chemicals besides. Therefore, I present, Vegan Peanut Butter Cups, plain and simple.




Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
adapted from this recipe at The Flaming Vegan
makes 12

Shortening, cooking spray or cupcake liners
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
pinch salt

1. Prepare a muffin pan by greasing the tins with shortening or cooking spray or lining the tin with cupcake liners.
2. Over low heat, melt the chocolate chips with the margarine and brown sugar, stirring until everything is mixed and the mixture starts to ball. Remove from heat.
3. Drop about one tablespoon of chocolate into each tin, then spread the chocolate to the sides with a small spoon. Between each candy, dip the spoon in cold water. Place the whole tin in the freezer to set.
4. In a food processor or stand mixer, beat together the peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt.
5. Remove the pan from the freezer. Drop 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of the peanut butter mixture into each tin, then top with 1 tablespoon of chocolate.
6. Freeze until set. To serve, let thaw 5 minutes before eating. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.



No comments:

Post a Comment