Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Grandmother's Gooey Lemon Bars, Veganized



These lemon bars are not anything I had growing up. They were in my grandmother's recipe box, and I decided to see what I could do about them. The whole box is a time capsule of what Americans were eating in the 1950's, and these bars are no exception. Simple and nutritionally void, these bars represent a lot of American food at the time. 

I imagine them being served as an afternoon snack during the summer, along with ice tea. My version isn't quite as elegant as I would like, but I suspect they are true to the original. I perhaps shouldn't have expected elegance from a dish that requires mixing with one's hands.


Grandmother's Gooey Lemon Bars, Veganized

1 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup vegan margarine
3 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tablespoons lemon juice
dash of salt

1. Sift together flour and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Blend in margarine with fingers until well mixed.
2. Grease 8X8 baking pan. Pat dough evenly into bottom of pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
3. Beat together remaining ingredients, except remaining powdered sugar. Pour over crust and return to oven for another 20-25 minutes.
4. Cool on rack, then place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Cut into squares with a sharp knife, and sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment