Thursday, July 10, 2014

Vegan Chocolate-Ginger Brownies


Say what you will about Martha Stewart. She did bad things, she did her time, and there is still something creepy about her empire. But her empire also produces really amazing recipes. When I went vegan, there were plenty of baking books I chucked; there was just no reason to keep generic non-vegan recipes when I could buy tried and true vegan ones that are just as good, if not better.

Martha's books are special, though. I knew I had to keep them. Besides containing creative recipes, I find her approach to baking both similar to my own and easy to veganize. I used to halve the amount of eggs in most cookie recipes, instead adding more sugar. I found Martha already did this. Now, with fewer eggs comes easier substitution. Her recipes also lean on the moist side, so apple sauce fits right into the makeup of her cookies.

Here, I have veganized her Chocolate-Ginger Brownies in honor of my friend, Ginger's birthday. They came out moist, flavorful and delicate. Be careful handling them-- if you can stave off eating them all before they are served.

And happy birthday, Ginger!



Vegan Chocolate-Ginger Brownies
adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies  
makes 16-20 brownies

1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. fresh grated peeled ginger (I used Dorot brand frozen crushed ginger, thawed a little and chopped)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. groung ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8X8 or 9X9 inch pan with shortening or cooking spray.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Add the remaining ingredients into the pan and stir together.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread it out evenly to the edges.
5. Bake 30-35 mins, until knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool completely and cut into two-inch squares.

Tip: If planning to transport, lay the brownies out on a cookie sheet after cutting and freeze before placing into travel container.

No comments:

Post a Comment