Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Everyday Berry Protein-Rich Smoothie


I'm going to tell you something shocking. Brace yourself. Ready?

I don't really like whole fruits. There, I put it out there for the whole world to hear. I, a food lover and vegan, don't enjoy chomping on fruit. I love the idea of them-- so luscious and colorful, naturally sweet and packed with flavor; I just don't like chewing them. They are so very cold and my teeth don't like cold. They have skins and seeds and all sorts of different textures. My mouth just isn't a fan.

The way to fix fruits, for me, is to pulverize them. Juice them, jam them, and best of all, smooth them. I love smoothies. They are luscious and colorful, sweet and packed with flavor. Best of all, they don't require chewing. They are a tasty way for a picky texture-conscious eater like me to get all the health benefits of raw fruit.

My smoothies combine fruit with protein for a healthy and filling meal. The following recipe is the first vegan recipe I ever created, developed years before I switched to a fully vegan diet, in fact. Easy to make in large batches, it's been a staple in my diet ever since.




Amanda's Everyday Berry Protein-Rich Smoothie
Makes 4 servings

10 oz frozen mixed berries or fruit
1 cup apple juice
1 lb silken tofu
1/4 cup peanut butter

1. Throw the berries or fruit in a food processor or blender and process until everything is at least chopped up.
2. Add in the apple juice and process until combined.
3. Add the tofu, including the water in the package. Blend until combined.
4. Add the peanut butter and process until everything is the same consistency.



No comments:

Post a Comment