Monday, June 9, 2014

Vegan Fettuccine con Funghi




This recipe is not my grandmother's fettuccine. This one is more like a friend I met along the way-- the sort of friend I'd like to bring to a dinner party. I would like to bring this friend to a dinner party more than I would the one I was looking for, in fact. I will still find that original fettuccine, and we will reminisce together. This one, though; with this fettuccine, I will have new, flavorful conversations.

My first attempt at my grandmother's fettuccine was a flop, you see, but not a grand failure. The flavor of the coconut milk was too strong, and the dish was too oily. The base was nice, though, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Finally, as I was falling asleep, a voice came upon me and said, "Amanda, make the dish again and add mushrooms." The mushrooms not only took care of both issues, but added a sort of elegance of substance. I hope you enjoy it as well.




Vegan Fettuccine con Funghi

8 oz uncooked fettuccine 
Oil or cooking spray
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
1 tsp nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, like this one, or store-bought

1. Cook the fettuccine according to the instructions, except cook it for one minute less than the lowest recommended time.
2. Heat a  medium sized frying pan and oil it very lightly. I used cooking spray to be sure not to have too much oil. The dish has plenty of oil in the end, so you don't want to add more. 
3. Sautee the mushrooms in the pan, cooking them until they are soft and start to brown, 4-5 minutes. Remove them from heat and set aside.
4. Don't start the next step until the pasta is well on its way, if not finished. Return the pan to the heat, and melt the margarine with the coconut milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper on medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly until the sauce thickens, about 6-7 minutes.
5. Stir the fettuccine into the sauce, then add the mushrooms. Let the dish simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
7. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment